Monday, April 23, 2007

CAN YOU DENOUNCE YOUR RACE?


I know everyone is sick and tired of the whole Imus situation, however this was on my mind so I must share.

Everyone should, in great detail, know the events of the whole Imus ordeal, so I will not go further to restate those comments or statements. Anyway, on last Wednesday on my way to the airport to start my mini-vacation, I was listening to a local talk radio show who was discussing the Imus situation. It was the morning after he appeared on the AL Sharpton show, where he made a statement saying the girls should not have been offended by his statement because black females allow other females and males to refer to them as hoes and bitches. Not only did the statement get under my skin, because he thought it was an excuse for his actions, but because he failed to mention or realize that white girls do it too. However, it does make it right for us to use those words toward each other rather in a friendly manner or otherwise, because as we can all see our actions/words are misconstrued and used as weapons against us.

As much as that statement really upset me, it did not upset me as much as the African American female who called in to comment on the statement. She said “ I am a frequent listener of the Imus show and he is edgy, he does not only say things about Blacks he talks about all races, so I think he words where taken out of context. And furthermore, I can see why he said it, those girls are not pretty at all.” The radio personality stated, “what do you mean not pretty? Those are some beautiful and intelligent girls.” That crazy ass heifer goes on to say, “No they are not, well I guess it depends on how you define beautiful, because in my definition those are not beautiful girls or intelligent. The press conference was their time to display their intelligence and they could not articulate themselves well, especially the Captain.”

It was at that point that I wanted to jump through the radio, into her phone and whip her ass, right before I denounce Blackhood. She was an embarrassment to all black women. How in the world can you justify anyone calling young ladies who are trying to make something of themselves a Nappy Head Ho, in spite of your thoughts about their physical features. What in the hell does beauty have to do with being demeaned and called out of your name. Since when does the lack of beauty give anyone the right to mistreat someone because of their misfortune. And most importantly, who defines beauty? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You may think they are ugly, but I am sure there are equal or more people out there who think they are the prettiest tenderroni’s walking the earth.

It really amazes me how many African American people do not have a clue and oblivious to what is really going on in the world. Regardless of what context the statement was made it was wrong and mortifying. OH MY BLACK PEOPLE LET’S GET IT TOGETHER!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, we've got a long way to go!!