Friday, January 5, 2007

Seeking Fulfillment........

2006 was a great year filled with many blessings and memories that will last a lifetime. I managed to complete my dual masters degree program, welcome the birth of another healthy nephew, witnessed the marriage of my first cousin who is like a brother to me, and witnessed the college graduation of my younger brother. These many blessings and accomplishment of the past year is just a small portion of the blessing God has bestowed upon my family and me. 2006 over all was a great year, with just a few minor changes, 2006 would have been perfect. But who really has a perfect year.

This year 2007 can only continue down this wonderful path of greatness for me. I realize that lately since I've moved to Illinois that I have been complaining a lot. Most of the complaints are about my new career and the slow adjustment to the area. Don't get me wrong; I am very happy with the Chicago area and all it has to offer, but there was still something missing. I thought the missing piece to my puzzle of confusion was the lack of extra curricula activities, such as volunteering with non profit groups or kicking with close friend, which is something that I have been involve with for as long as I can remember. I thought volunteering with Big Brother Big Sister and Girl Scouts of America would give me the fulfillment that I needed to shake my unhappiness. However, both organizations required that I live in the state of Illinois for at least 6 months before they would even consider interviewing me as a volunteer.

After all of the searching and contemplating, I found a church to join. It wasn’t until I heard a wonderful message from my pastor, Smokey Norful, which I realize that God has placed me exactly where he wants me to be. If I continue to complain about the situation instead of praying about it then I am totally missing the message God is trying to teach me. My reason for being here is to strengthen myself as a person and I have not been able to do that, because for years I have been placing other people's need before my own. I do believe God wants me to take this time out and focus on me for a change, what makes me happy, what exactly fulfills me and make me who I am. With all of that being said, this year I am taking time out to explore myself and release extra baggage from the pastso I can improve myself as an individual. I will still partake in volunteer work, however I will not allow those activities to totally consume me as it has in the past. My journey to fulfillment will allow me to define what it is that I want to achieve in my career, personal life, love life, and most important my spiritual life. I will keep you all posted on the joys and pains of my journey. Please pray for me throughout my adventure.

1 comment:

Southern_Lady said...

Very nice! Sometimes we're so busy doing for others that we forget to do for ourselves.